Home  /  News Archive  /  Article

2019 Fall Academic Excellence Award Ceremony

Thursday, December 5, 2019
Awards night recipient shakes Dr. Ledbetter's hand.
Dr. Ledbetter shakes sophomore Veronica Galvan's hand after she was presented with a red cord for academic excellence.

Isabel Duran, ’21, School Reporter

November 18, 2019 McKinney North held their annual Academic Excellence award ceremony honoring students of all classifications for their consistent academic success in the McKinney North auditorium. Colored cords are earned for the previous year’s grade point average of 3.5 or above.

Students, parents, and friends gathered in the auditorium to recognize and be recognized. Michael Roberts, ‘20, was awarded an orange cord for receiving the award for the third time. When asked how he felt Roberts pondered for a while before saying, “It’s an honor to see all the hard work that I’ve put in has finally paid off.” He added, “I want to thank McKinney North for recognizing my achievements and giving me the opportunity and support to excel.” Roberts will graduate in May.

Giselle Martinez Pacheco, ‘21, earned a navy cord for receiving the award for the second time. Pacheco smiled proudly when asked about the ceremony before saying, “It was an honor to be recognized in front of the people who taught me to work hard.”

Principal Jae Gaskill ended the ceremony with a congratulatory speech to both the students and parents in attendance which resulted in a round of applause for all parties.